Athletic Rehabilitation Therapy Certification & Exams
To become a certified member of ARTI and be authorised to use the title ‘Athletic and Rehabilitation Therapist, Cerified’ (ARTC), applicants must graduate from an ARTI accredited programme and pass the ARTI certification exam. The certification exam consists of both a theory and a practical section and 70% is required in both sections to be successful.
Applicants must meet certain educational and professional criteria in order to be eligible to sit the certification examination. These include:
- Honors Degree (NFQ level 8) in a field related to Sports Medicine from an ARTI accredited 3rd level institution*.
- Emergency First Responder Certification (from the ‘Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council’ (PHECC) – www.phecc.ie) or equivalent.
* The ARTI accredited programmes are
- BSc. in Sport Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy, Institute of Technology, Carlow
- BSc. in Athletic Therapy and Training, Dublin City University
- BSc. in Athletic and Rehabilitation Therapy, Athlone Institute of Technology.
Students in their final semester of an ARTI accredited programme are entitled to sit the ARTI certification examination. If this examination is passed successfully, certified membership status is pending demonstration of successful completion of the academic programme.
BOC certified Athletic Trainers and CATA certifed Athletic Therapists may apply to undertake the ARTI certification examination as part of the Mutual Recogntion Arrangement. For more details please see MRA candidates.
For information on the requirements to sit the certification examination, the certification examination itself, or general queries about the certification process, please click here.
The next dates for the certification examinations are:
1. Friday, 24th August 2018. This will be hosted in Dublin City University.
In order to sit this examination, you must register by Friday, 10th of August 2018 at 5pm.
2. Friday, 18th January 2019. This will be hosted in Dublin City University.
In order to sit this examination, you must register by Friday, 4th of January 2019 at 5pm.
For more details on the certification examination processes and resources, please see the links below.